The prospectors’ claim at Te Aroha
Hart, P. (2016). The prospectors’ claim at Te Aroha (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 70). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.
Permanent Research Commons link: http://hdl.handle.net/10289/10382
High up the mountain, on the edge of a precipice, the Prospectors’ Claim was at first examined only on the surface, producing some valuable stone. After the goldfield was proclaimed, two tunnels were driven under the supervision of experienced miners, but despite encouraging signs, no reef was struck. Once the first parcel was tested in Thames in early December, the owners realized the value of their ore was less than anticipated, and when a crushing was made in the new Te Aroha battery in 1881 the returns were lower than expected. Consequently, mining ceased, and the ground was abandoned. In September 1882 four experienced miners acquired part of the ground as the optimistically named Golden Hill, but after obtaining the usual ‘encouraging’ results their work came to nothing. There was some interest in the ground subsequently, but a lode was never found, and seemingly will never be found.
Historical Research Unit, University of Waikato
© 2016 Philip Hart