An overview of mining in the Te Aroha mining district from the turn of the twentieth century until the start of the depression
Hart, P. (2016). An overview of mining in the Te Aroha mining district from the turn of the twentieth century until the start of the depression. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 99). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.
Permanent Research Commons link: http://hdl.handle.net/10289/10431
Apart from the mines owned by Edwin Henry Hardy, mining at Waiorongomai stagnated in the early twentieth century. During its first decade attention largely switched to the Tui district, with new treatment processes promising better results, but, as usual, raising capital was difficult and the government was asked to assist. A mining revival was constantly anticipated, especially by the local newspaper, and for the first time base metals were also investigated. Prospecting encompassed new areas, with the Mangakino Valley and the top of the mountain being investigated more thoroughly than previously. In 1913, the battery was destroyed in a fire but was replaced. During that decade and the subsequent one, mining faded away to almost nothing, and only the onset of the Depression caused any revival.
Historical Research Unit, University of Waikato
© 2016 Philip Hart