Show simple item record  

dc.contributor.authorHart, Philip
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-21T03:48:02Z
dc.date.available2016-06-21T03:48:02Z
dc.date.issued2016
dc.identifier.citationHart, P. (2016). The Te Aroha battery, erected in 1881. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 72). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.en_NZ
dc.identifier.issn2463-6266
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/10289/10390
dc.description.abstractAs a local battery was a basic requirement for the field, after some proposals came to nothing a meeting held in January 1881 agreed to form a company to erect and operate one. Although prominent members of the new field were elected as provisional directors, raising capital was a slow process, as many potential investors feared to lose their investments. Once two-thirds of the capital was raised, the Te Aroha Quartz Crushing Company, formed in February, was registered in April. Its shareholders came from a wide area and had very varied occupations. A reconditioned battery, erected in what would become Boundary Street in Te Aroha, was opened with much festivity and optimism in April. It was handicapped by a lack of roads from the mines and insufficient water power, and when the first crushing made the poverty of the ore very apparent it closed after working for only two months. Being such a bad investment, shareholders were reluctant to pay calls. Sold in 1883 but not used, after being sold again in 1888 its machinery was removed; the building itself was destroyed in the following year in one of Te Aroha’s many gales.en_NZ
dc.format.mimetypeapplication/pdf
dc.language.isoenen_NZ
dc.publisherHistorical Research Unit, University of Waikatoen_NZ
dc.relation.ispartofseriesTe Aroha Mining District Working Papersen_NZ
dc.rights© 2016 Philip Harten_NZ
dc.titleThe Te Aroha battery, erected in 1881en_NZ
dc.typeWorking Paperen_NZ
uow.relation.series72en_NZ


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record