Te Aroha: 1882 to 1889
Hart, P. (2016). Te Aroha: 1882 to 1889. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 114). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.
Permanent Research Commons link: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/10448
Despite a dip in mid-decade, the population of Te Aroha steadily increased as mining continued, farms were developed, and the tourist trade commenced. Businessmen set up shop because of the high expectations held for the district, and the township became lively both commercially and socially. Its development in these years is covered partly chronologically and partly thematically. The increasing numbers of tourists visiting the hot baths, especially after the arrival of the railway, encouraged the erection of excellent hotels and boardinghouses. Although they enjoyed the scenery and the baths, they, like the locals, had to cope with badly maintained roads and footpaths, roaming animals (notably pigs), and occasional gales and fires. But a bridge replaced the punts, and local government in the form of the domain board and the town board gradually addressed the community’s needs, although grumbles continued about the tenure of town sections. And the town was well supplied with newspapers. An active social life was assisted by the erection of a library and a public hall, the latter being used for a wide variety of entertainments provided by both residents and visitors. Dances, ‘rinking’, and sports were popular, and strengthened a sense of community in this young township.
Historical Research Unit, University of Waikato
© 2016 Philip Hart