|dc.description.abstract||At the time of the first crushing, at the end of 1883, hopes for a prosperous goldfield were high because of its well-constructed tramway, water races, and battery and because of the many apparently payable mines. Within a few months, the field’s reputation had plummeted, as formerly promising ground had proved to be unpayable. It had become clear that the costs of carriage and treatment were too high and that a better method of treatment was required. Despite the many reports of good discoveries keeping hopes alive, fears spread that the field might not be permanent. Despite more prospecting and a second battery being erected, eventually, Waiorongomai’s fortunes failed to improve.
Two new mining areas were discovered, at Stoney Creek and, more significantly, at Tui, the latter being a consequence of a new interest in finding silver. As a lack of capital was recognized as being a significant handicap, overseas capital was sought, successfully, but without permanently reversing the decline in the district’s fortunes. Too much ground was held for speculation, and too little profitable mining took place.
Throughout the decade, both the county council and central government were beseeched to assist, and did so, especially by paying part of the cost of tracks into new areas. But by the end of the decade the prospects looked bleak.||en_NZ