The Waitoki, Waitoki Extended, Werahiko, Success, Silver King, Cadman and Bendigo mines at Waiorongomai
Hart, P. (2016). The Waitoki, Waitoki Extended, Werahiko, Success, Silver King, Cadman and Bendigo mines at Waiorongomai. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 94). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.
Permanent Research Commons link: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/10426
The Werahiko and Waitoki mines were the first to work this ground, with great expectations. During 1882 and 1883 there were periodic encouraging reports of the value of the ore, but expectations were dashed when the first crushing proved it was unpayable. Nevertheless, some mining continued on part of the ground, which was worked under several different names. Optimism that better gold would be struck was indicated by a warden’s court suit seeking its forfeiture for non-working. Some owners acquired the ground in the hope of selling it to overseas investors, but apart from the Te Aroha Silver and Gold Mining Company acquiring it in 1888 (and soon abandoning it) these hopes were in vain. Small-scale development continued into the twentieth century, but the erratic ore and the inadequate treatment methods available meant that little benefit resulted from such off-and-on mining. The Bendigo battery was erected to treat the ore, but quickly closed in 1912. During the Depression more prospecting took place, but mining ended for good in 1936.
Historical Research Unit, University of Waikato
© 2016 Philip Hart