The Tui Mines: a portion of the Te Aroha mining district
Hart, P. (2016). The Tui Mines: a portion of the Te Aroha mining district. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 107). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.
Permanent Research Commons link: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/10439
After initial interest in it during the initial rush, the Tui portion of the Te Aroha field was largely ignored until Clem Cornes made a discovery in 1885 that produced great hopes for obtaining gold and silver. Investors were quickly interested, but raising sufficient capital was a continual problem; although in time British investors became involved, all the syndicates and companies were under-funded. In addition, there was no agreed method to treat the refractory ore, which was heavily impregnated with base metals, and several processes were tried without success. In addition, the topography of the area required the construction of an access track and, in 1889, of an aerial tramway to transport ore from high on the mountain to the flat. As usual, financial assistance from both local and national governments was sought, and a small amount was received. Many people were involved as prospectors, miners, investors, and treatment ‘experts’, but despite their efforts the early hopes were never fulfilled. By mid-1888 mining had faded because of the lack of a successful process, and although some London-based companies would be formed in later years, capital remained inadequate and development was minimal, for the basic reason that no suitable treatment had been discovered for the low-grade and complex ore.
Historical Research Unit, University of Waikato
© 2016 Philip Hart