Show simple item record  

dc.contributor.authorHart, Philip
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-26T23:27:10Z
dc.date.available2016-06-26T23:27:10Z
dc.date.issued2016
dc.identifier.citationHart, P. (2016). Te Aroha township during the first rush: 1880-1881. (Te Aroha Mining District Working papers, No. 113). Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Historical Research Unit.en_NZ
dc.identifier.issn2463-6266
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/10289/10447
dc.description.abstractThe most exciting time for a mining township was during the first rush. At Te Aroha, canvas settlements appeared close to the hot pools and between the mountain and the river, and because of the high hopes for a payable field all the features of a permanent settlement soon appeared. Shops of all varieties were erected, the original hotel soon had competition, church sites were chosen, government offices appeared, and because so many of the settlers were family men a start was made to provide schooling and health care. Sport, horse racing, and other entertainments became part of social life, with the hot pools a particular focus for ‘rest and recreation’. Within a few months, more substantial buildings were erected (very necessary because of the high wind common to the district), better roads to and within the settlement were constructed, and a better punt across the river provided. As the prospects of the goldfield faded in 1881, so did the township, but the discovery of gold at Waiorongomai meant that it would quickly revive and indeed flourish.en_NZ
dc.format.mimetypeapplication/pdf
dc.language.isoenen_NZ
dc.publisherHistorical Research Unit, University of Waikatoen_NZ
dc.relation.ispartofseriesTe Aroha Mining District Working Papersen_NZ
dc.rights© 2016 Philip Harten_NZ
dc.titleTe Aroha township during the first rush: 1880-1881en_NZ
dc.typeWorking Paperen_NZ
uow.relation.series113en_NZ


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record